Friday, June 1, 2012

Tailgaters

The Washington Post Invitational ran a contest where entrants had to use a line from a well known poem then add their own rhyming line to follow it. The results of the contest were posted today and, as usual, there were tons of hilarious entries. The one that tickled me the most was this one, by Brian Allgar, using a William Shakespeare line:

Who will believe my verse, in time to come, (Shakespeare)
Was used for something so completely dumb? (Allgar)

I submitted a few of my own entries to this contest, and while the Washington Post  may not have found them print-worthy, nobody can stop me from publishing them on my own blog. :) I'm not sure if I should say "enjoy" or "I'm sorry". Either way, I mean it sincerely:


Tyger! Tyger! burning bright...(W. Blake)
Shoot, I can't spell 'tiger' right. (J. Talbott)


The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea (E. Lear)
There's a hole in their boat (cuz they didn't take me). (J. Talbott)


I think that I shall never see (J. Kilmer)
A fork placed right (I've OCD). (J. Talbott)


Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered weak and weary, (E. A. Poe)
I conjured up a brilliant theory,
Then forgot it -- Too much beer-y. (J. Talbott)


Because I could not stop for Death (E. Dickinson)
He chased me, now HE'S out of breath. (J. Talbott)


This is the way the world ends (T.S. Eliot)
With a nuclear blast and filled Depends. (J. Talbott)


Each burning boat in Caesar's rear (H. Melville)
Is wond'ring... how'd I get in here? (J. Talbott)


O Captain! my captain! our fearful trip is done; (W. Whitman)
Then said Picard, "Hey, redshirt, if I were you I'd run!" (J. Talbott)


'Tis better to have loved and lost (Tennyson)
(Now dining out is half the cost). (J. Talbott)


I wandered lonely as a cloud (Wordsworth)
My flatulence dispersed the crowd (J. Talbott)

1 comment:

  1. These are great fun! I should probably post my losing entries too. I'm fond of them, even if the Post isn't :)

    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete